Thursday, June 12, 2014

Petoskey Rocks!



I am in Petoskey for a dean's meeting--it is supposed to be all the liberal arts deans in the state but only about 10 came.  I guess that is one more difference between Michigan and Minnesota--give Minnesota deans a chance to go to a vacation wonderland and there would be 200 of them who would have made the trip.  I heard lots of stories today and learned more about the community colleges in the state.  As usual, you hear schools that have bigger issues and stranger stories than you can ever imagine.  Trust me on this

We ate tonight at the historic Perry Hotel, a 115 year-old institution.  Heck, even Hemingway ate/slept/drank there, so it must be famous.   It is also famous because it is painted a very bright light yellow.   The lilacs are just starting to bloom around here since the the lake still has cubes of ice bobbing along.  The lilacs look pretty good, even if they are a bit late.

Interestingly enough, these photos remined me that my first photo that I ever took for the Leader-Telegram (in May of 1979) was of lilacs.  These are better photos than I took 35 years ago, which should tell you how bad those photos were.  That is positive--my photos have improved a little bit after all that practice.  Give me a few years to work on this, OK? 

No comments: