Sunday, June 18, 2017

June 18, 2017






It is Fathers' Day, so best to all the fathers out there.  Someone asked me today to share one memory of my father and I guiltily said, let me get back to you.  It isn't like I don't have any, but it has been more than 9 Years since I last shared a Fathers' Day with him.  So I had to think, and there were many memories.  In no particular order, from just this weekend.
  • I waited for a refill of coffee at the Bear Paw Cafe in Port Wing because the coffee I had left in the cup was "just about drinking speed."  If I had heard that once, I heard it a thousand times.
  • I had a cheese omelette and don't think for a moment I didn't think of all the cheese omelettes I bought for him at Perkins.  And I had some smoked fish for a snack, something that he would have done until the 5 lbs box was empty or people got tired of the smell in the fridge and tossed it out.  I did gain a bit of smelly smoked fish moderation, I guess
  • I took a nap.  More than one, in fact.  And I have gotten the gene that allows me to fall asleep sitting down in 20 seconds.  What can I say?  It is a gift, I guess.
  • I was sitting there and my hand shook a little on my leg.  I am hopeful it wasn't for the same reasons his always did, but I watched it and wondered just a little bit.
  • I spent the whole weekend in Port Wing, all of which was made possible by my Dad and my Mom's crazy idea to buy 20 acres of land west of Port Wing in 1966.  What were they thinking?  Crazy people!
  • And I was crazy enough to celebrate that and just sit in the woods and just wonder about all this and more.
I am not an overly sentimental person, nor am I, sometimes to my great regret, close to my family.  But this weekend I felt close to my dad.  But realized how unsure I was about those memories and that is OK.  The omelette and the naps and the woods and the coffee were all good and I think that was a good start.

Pictures are from around Port Wing.  Please click on them to make them bigger and sharper.

No comments: