Wednesday, September 21, 2011

New things, continued



One of the great things about having an IPhone, other than it is about 10 times smarter than me, is that it does have a pretty good camera. We have talked about it being the "best camera ever" just because you carry it everywhere, but I think it can be more than that.

This past weekend I was "doing" an art show (total prints sold, zero) and there was a photographer showing his work who I really liked. He was a great guy and a very very good photographer. He is a freelance corporate photographer, but has a substantial body of personal fine art photography. One part of his portfolio is kind of minimalist series he calls "Wanderings." What is fun about this series is that it is all taken on his phone. Dark, moody, square photos filled one wall in his booth, and they were stunning. His work confirmed that it isn't at all about the camera, but rather, it is all about how someone sees things and light.

The technology (an IPhone 4) and the software "App" Hipstamatic is all that is needed. I have been fooling around with this set up and I have a long ways to go before I can even carry his matt board. But I see it as having potential--certainly the camera doesn't get in the way of seeing. You viewers will have to suffer through my learning curve on this, but here are two of my early photos in my new series...

No comments: