Sunday, October 2, 2011

The cost of music

Music has changed a great deal in the last few years as we all have noticed.  I bought a friend a pile of LPs the other day, and realized the last time I had bought an LP was probably 1979.  The last time I bought a cassette was around 1985.  I rarely buy CD's but instead just click "Buy it now" in i-Tunes.

This weekend I experienced music in another way with real actual live music--it wasn't even that hard to arrange and make happen.  We had a party built around a local trio made up of a lounge singer Frank Sinatra wannabe, a bass player and a drummer.  Yes, there was a cost to it--perhaps more than a CD or even an LP.  But the benefits were far far greater than any costs.  This music was a catalyst to do something that I have never done before, and that was to have 10 or more unrelated people in my space.  And actually, we had almost two dozen people who used the music as part of the reasons to spend a few hours together.  That made the cost, any cost, well worth it.  The party was a success by multiple definitions--the food and the spirits were enjoyed, and the spirit of the party was great, too.  And it was even better because of the music.

No comments: