Monday, March 2, 2009

Falls, once again


I think I have told you and certainly all my photos of water have shown you how important water and the sound of it is to me.  I think, and I have told some of you this, that this can be traced to my days when I was at Purdue finishing up my dissertation.  I would teach all day, go take a nap, and then come back to the university about 7:00 and then write and organize until 11:45.  I would then go outside to the fountain and look at it and listen for 15 minutes, until they shut it off.  I would collect my thoughts, think about what I was writing and what I had to write yet that night.  Once the fountain "powered down" for the night, I would go back to my office and write for three or four more hours.  It was the most productive time of my life and in some ways the most fulfilling.  I will never forget all of those processes, but I will never forget the "noises" that made them happen.

So why all the waterfalls?  When I am in front of them, I could stay for hours.  They captivate me--almost 25 years later, I still immediately place myself in front of that fountain, and I think the same things.  I think of what I have done, and what I need to do.  I know that I could get one of those little fountains and Sharper Image or even Walgreens, but sitting in front of these falls, watching it, and more remarkably, feeling them, I am in awe of the power.  And the beauty.  These are from Whatcom Falls park, that city park that I can literally walk to.  



No comments: