Saturday, August 6, 2011

Stormy skies



I came home tonight to stormy skies that while probably were not all that threatening, I have to say they were at least dramatic. Unlike some photographers, I honestly can say I use Photoshop very sparingly. These were very lightly touched--minor exposure tweaks, unsharp mask, a crop, and that is it. I suppose I know that, and I do hope others see that. It does make me realize how honestly, well, how honestly photogenic the sky was tonight.

It was a good day. The Uptown Art Fair was amazing. I am guessing that I am not quite ready for the big leagues of art shows, as if I have to tell you, the poor viewers who have had to look at most of the photos I have taken and shown--almost all of them have been on my blog. But it was very encouraging to see that so many people honestly can make their living off their art. Braver souls, and better at this than I am--that is all.

For dinner I met a friend's mother and even her grandmother. Geez, how many years has it been since I have gone through that angst? I think it it went it ok, though I feel I am pushing up hill on this one. I cooked and did dishes--I am not sure I could have done a whole lot more. It was fine...all in all they were pretty kind to someone who perhaps doesn't deserve it. Ultimately for me the night came down to this--who knew it would ever begin to mean so much to wipe spaghetti sauce from a chin? What do I ever do with that, other than want more of this, more of something that is not mine to ask for or take?

I was thinking a lot today--a long drive with slow traffic allows this, which I think is a plus. I don't think I came to a single conclusion during my drive time, probably because there are just too many unknowns. But oddly enough, the clouds tonight are a visual metaphor and really tell a lot more about me than I usually do in this space. On some level, there is a balance, at least compositionally or in the big picture, between the threatening clouds and the blue sky. Certainly there is a hint of movement--the clouds are either taking over the blue sky or being pushed back--which is it? You can't really tell, can you? Think I can or could influence which way this is all going to turn out? My point exactly. Welcome to my world.

I have told you all this before that a blog is one of the most self-indulgent things in the world. Who cares about my musings? Especially when they are cryptic and tell but a tiny part of the story as to protect the innocent (and me). Sometimes I do write for a VERY small audience. I assume that people skip this drivel and glom onto the visual drivel of the pictures. But sometimes we all have more to say than a picture or two. Bear with me on this...

No comments: