Sunday, March 24, 2013

Epic fail

In some ways it was a lost weekend.  Not in the sense that it was a bad weekend, but it was just a neutral  blah weekend.  Some parts were fun--I judged a National History Day contest on Saturday, and I really enjoyed it.  I was very impressed with the overall quality, but one junior high exhibit was simply exceptional.  I don't know...I have taught at the college level since 1993, so 20 years, and I have have seen maybe four examples of my students' work that was as good as their exhibit.  It gives me hope.  Seriously.  Their presentation was on the Cultural Revolution in China and their presentation was made better because they could read and speak Mandarin, and could quote parts of Mao's Little Red Book.  I bet 99% of all my students ever would even recognize the title.  And that was after they had my world history class.

The weather drags on, and I am sure that this adds to the sense of almost malaise that I am feeling.  Spring has yet to show itself at all, despite the fervent wishing of millions of Minnesotans.  And Wisconsinites and Kansans and ...  I want tulips to show themselves.  I long to not wear three layers to go get a cup of coffee, and I don't want to lose any more tires/wheels to potholes.  Before spring really appears, we need to go through gross-looking snow season, and then mud season, and, it seems likely, flood season.  Maybe Florida wasn't so bad.

To ease my blah-ness, I thought I would cook today.  I was hungry for roast chicken and I went looking for a new recipes.  I have figured out the chicken, just roasted with garlic (a little) and tarragon (a lot).  I wondered about stuffing, and found a recipe for a Southwest savory dressing with chorizo and optional oysters.  I was a little limited by local food--not many fresh oysters around here, etc.  But, as my students would say, OMG.  As in OMG this is the most terrible thing that I have ever tasted.  Ick.  What was I thinking?  The chicken was good, as were the grilled fresh green beans with olive oil garlic and sea salt.  Yum.  No wine today.

This week will be crazy.  It is eval season and I will be in classes at least 10 times a week for at least three or four weeks.  Also, changes are afoot around campus so it should be interesting as always.  I will be busy, so it will be easier to pass the time until spring finally comes.

No comments: