Sunday, February 2, 2014

Good food, bad game, but nice light

I a watching a miserable football game and I am more than disinterested.  I am not a huge Peyton Manning fan but I do respect him and his team, and listening to them being shut out is disappointing.  It seems the best defense is perhaps better than the best offense.

I have to say that I ate well this weekend.  My house still smells of rosemary and mint from the very slow roasted beast that I made yesterday.  I would tell you what kind of beast but I would feel very "baaa-d" and couldn't tell ewe.  None-the-less, it was very good.  I browned it and then slow roasted it with lots and lots of rosemary and mint for 6 hours on low heat.  It fell apart and the richness of the roast was warm and filling, and the flavors and aromas  filled my house.  I served it with  fairly decent risotto that I made with woodland mushrooms, vegetables,  and even more rosemary and mint. It was complemented with a saucy yet deep box (hey, I am unemployed and on a budget!!!) of cab.    Plus I have lunch tomorrow!

Tonight I ramped up my vision of Superbowl food.  I had them slice some bacon very thin, so thin you could almost read through it.  I then wrapped figs, dates, prunes, and apricots with this bacon and roasted it.  With slim slices of real parmesan cheese and crunchy crusted bread, it was a treat.  I have heard that bacon is basically the duct tape of food, and this confirmed it.  The crunchy salty super thin bacon around the sweet fruit was a real treat. It wasn't perfect--I have some ideas for next time, but it very certainly was much better than a bag of Doritos and a can of cheese or "little smokies" in ketchup that you have to eat with tooth picks.

Lastly, there was nice light for photos.  I bought tulips just to remind me that spring will come sometime.  It will be awhile but it will come.  

In my continuing orgy of reading  I am re-reading James Clavell's Asian series.  They were written in the 1960s and 70s and the are a good, if unsubstantial read.   I have read more than 3,000 pages of his.    I think that I could be Japanese and treasure the simplicity that is sometimes revered.  I am a long ways from attaining any type of "wa" or approaching the religious goals of the Buddha or becoming Zen-like.  Still, tulips can provide a path towards simplicity and peace.  I hope.









No comments: