Sunday, July 19, 2015

Random heavy thoughts








Not much to say, but thought that I would share some photos, and I suppose not much to say with them or about them.  As one of my readers pointed out, my photos aren't invidious.  What a great word--it means something that can cause ill-will or offense or both, like the Donald.  Really, that is what it says in the dictionary.  I think that was praise, but it was rather faint.  None-the-less, a sunrise, flowers, and bees.  I mean, who can be mad at bees?

And an anvil.  I obviously have weird hobbies, and I haven't shied away from hobbies that require a strong back.  I have two printing presses that probably weigh about as much as this anvil, but I have to say that this is a serious chunk of metal.  Made about 1910 by the Hay-Budden Company in Brooklyn, this was a great find in general and for my budding career as a blacksmith.  It weighs 125 pounds so you have to tighten your belt and lift with your legs when you move this thing.  It was rusty but it's solid, and it rings like a bell when struck.  And it was cheaper than chicken, which is another way to say that I got a great deal on this--it was less than $2 per pound, which is very good for an anvil of this vintage.  Plus, it is from one of the best American anvil companies.  Who knew people actually ranked anvil companies?  I am learning a lot about anvils--there is even a book about American anvils, but I am waiting for the movie to come out.  Now all I need is a forge...

No comments: