Sunday, September 28, 2008

Heliotrope Ridge

I can't begin to say how incredible the weather has been. Today I hiked, or rather, slowly slogged up the mountain to the Coleman Glacier. This is the west side of Baker, the side that I can see from school. This is at about 5500 feet. There is a measureable 1400 feet of vertical gain from the trailhead, but that is how the crow flies. It is about a three mile heart pumping, thigh burning, lactic acid producing climb. And then you have to go down! While gravity gives you a break, it is still work as you have to pay careful attention less a loose rock or twisted root, or rising water from a glacier stream trips you up. I was just as tired from the climb down, and more sore. No arerobic work, but muscle control. The good thing was that I was basically walking or doing something for seven hours, which is good for my sedentary butt.

No comments: