Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Bonjour! It is a rainy day and I will catch up a bit while I dry out a bit. I wonder how waterproof these cameras are?

It has been a whirlwind few days and a lot of fun. Spent the day near Notre Dame which whle I qdit is touristy, it is also beautiful. Rainy, misty day, perfect or at least pretty good for photos. The historian in me comes out in a medieval cathedral. How can something feel so solid? The flying buttresses refute its solidity, yet I swear you can feel the weight of the building. Purhaps that is the purpose of such a creation, to provide that solid-ness. I even climbed all 422 steps-that trek seemed easier 10 years ago. The building belies its age-it is what, 6-700 years old? Its wired for everthing and Bose Speakers belt out those chants. Some object to the commercial nature of the place, and it is unsettling to be able to buy a t-shirt or bumper sticker-you know, my friend went to Notre Dame and all I got was this lousy t-shirt... OK, it is not that bad but commerce is evident. But it was always like that, since it was a market site. At least they keep the animals out of square.

I ate at a cute (of course it was-they all are) place last night and had fondue-what a treat after subsisting on crossaints and tiny cups of espresso-those pesky flakes-they get all over my cameras! I would tell you the name but I had no idea where I was. I have to say that a tourist could pick their seat in almost any place. I knoz that this is not high season, but it sure seems slow. Monday is a day off after a holiday weekend here but honestly there were empty tables everywhere.

That is all for now-it is clearing out and, as I said, that Tower thingy awaits!

No comments: