Monday, May 31, 2010

Random thoughts...






It seems that I am on a tour of cities that start with "B" as I started yesterday in Bellingham, ended in Butte last night, and tonight I am in Bismarck. I am not all that intentional but that is just how it worked out. Only 328 miles left to home. Thank heavens. While the trip has gone well, I am tried of driving. I am pretty sure that I don't want to be a long hall trucker.

The truck has run well, and I am glad that I chose the one that I did. The mileage is decent, about 18 MPG so far and while it handles differently than my Honda Fit, it isn't too bad. You just have to pay attention all the time as gusts of wind or rough roads are really noticeable. All that wrestling with the wheel will no doubt help me buff up a bit so I can wear the sleeveless t-shirt that sometimes is the uniform of truckers. Don't wait up for that...

The radio has proved to be interesting. It is a simple AM/FM radio, so I haven't been able to supplement my entertainment with CD's of any kind, and I have to admit that it has been a long time since I have listened to the radio for 12-14 hours a day. More interesting is that AM radio comes in more clearly, probably because of the terrain. That worried me, because if I would have had to listen to conservative talk radio for that long I might not have made it. But the radio has been fun--strong AM stations have proved to be very musically diverse, surprisingly so. One set produced music from Taylor Swift to Springsteen to Madonna to Celine Dion to Boston and led up to the news with a Tony Bennett tune. Then after the news there was the farm market report. All things considered, not my normal listening, but enjoyable and it did make the time pass.

There was great light today, with huge white clouds and at first, white-topped mountains. The irrigation picture is by Livingstone, I presume. The mountains surrounding Big Timber ratchet up its appeal. I saw a sign on a commercial space in that town that was for rent--the rent was between 40 and sixty per square foot. That is 40-60 cents per square foot. Terry, Montana provided the slice of Americana on this Memorial Day. The sky turned a bit darker as I headed into North Dakota, and it threatened this elevator near Dickinson.

No comments: