Monday, April 4, 2011

pictures








I bought a new lens--it's kind of funny, as it is the lowliest of the lenses, a simple 50mm lens. I spent much of my career running away from this lens--it was just too normal. One of former colleagues at the paper probably took 90% of all the photos he had published in his 35 year career with a similar lens. Since he was an important mentor, I probably rejected this lens just so I wouldn't be like him. Rather, so my pictures wouldn't be like his. I probably should be more like him.

The lens, however, is fast, sharp, light, and it is the cheapest lens that Canon makes. Its very normalcy is its charm, and it does let you take photos that a slower lens can't take, at least without a tripod. The morning sunrise reflected in the windows is a good example of what it can do. The street/sign scene is one of those photos that works well with this normal perspective. The flowers are just a continuing theme. Maybe someday I will actually take a picture of a person, but until then this is all I have.

'

No comments: