Sunday, April 24, 2011

A spring trip














I made the trip to Madison this weekend and it was a very nice break. The weather was much better than it has been of late, and I love Madison. I spent lots of time there in the 1980s and 1990s and it still is home of sorts. I got to eat in Osseo, home of the famous Norske Nook, and there I got to meet Winston, a charming fellow closer in size to a Shetland pony than a dog. Once in Madison, I saw the capital in several different lights, if you can follow that. It really is one of the prettiest capitals in the world, and it is no less striking on a nice spring day. The whole town was filled with good light on Saturday. My hotel was on one of the lakes, and it at least looked warm.

Today, I was on a somewhat unsuccessful search for a decent cup of coffee. I was hoping for a small coffee shop that could make a mocha, but some were closed. I blame Jesus and that Easter thing for that. My search led me to Lake Delton and then through Wisconsin Dells while on the lookout for a Starbucks. Trust me when I say that the trip along Highway 12 between those two towns is one of the layers of hell, and there weren't even the summer crowds clogging the parkway. I had to laugh, though, at a sign on one the many fine eating establishments. The sign touted their famous cinnamon rolls and their "Homemade Toast." It left me thinking of the alternatives, and made me congratulate myself on being able to make toast (at home) that was just like a place that had famous other things on its menu.

No comments: