Sunday, December 2, 2012

It's been a quiet week...

I have been thinking of what I would write this week, as it seems that it is a tradition or a pattern to post at least once a weekend.  I think that in some ways it has been a roller coaster sort of week.  I have let enough slip that all has not been well.  I have literally been sworn to secrecy but I can share that work has not been all roses.  The challenge with a job like mine at the level of my position is that there are some politics.   OK, there are a lot of politics!  But I seem to have weathered this storm for now, and while there is still "storm debris" to manage, I think that all are in a better place.  I even won an award this week, a metaphorical pat on my head and in my bank account.

So I am managing. People still challenge me a bit but things are OK.  If I was honest with myself, I would tell myself, "Self, take a break.  People have said that they are this and want that or whatever, or that you need to do this or don't do that.  Let it play out."  I am not that patient, sometimes, and that is hard.  Sometimes, I have been told,  I focus on the negative and don't see all the positives!    Me, the half-full kind of guy.  Who knew?  So, patience is the guiding word and principle.  I have to work on that.

I did take photos this weekend, but I shot them on (GASP!) film so I can't post them yet. I will tomorrow.  They should be kind of fun.  It was foggy all day, and these should reflect that.  It was a Leica day, as I was out with three different Leica cameras, the oldest from 1954 and the newest from 1978.  That was kind of fun--no push button zooms or instant pictures today.  Actually, the waiting is killing me.  We are so used to instant gratification (see above) that having to wait and wonder is hard.  Not all the answers (or pictures) come up immediately, and I laughed at one point when I "chimped" my Leica IIIG.  That is what you call what photojournalists do after a big play or news event.  Every one stops and looks down at the back of their camera to see if they got the shot.  It is just such habit--you take the photo, and then you look at the monitor to see if you got the shot.  All I saw was chrome and leather that those nice Germans put on the camera back almost 60 years ago.

So more tomorrow.  Remember, patience!

No comments: