Saturday, May 4, 2013

Going south




You know, that phrase has quite a few connotations.  In this reference, I just mean that I went south to South Dakota.  It was short trip in every way, but it was a good trip.  Overall the conference was good, and despite my general belief that everyone in SD wears them, there were no overalls.  I do have to point out that we were only 18 miles into the state--there is plenty of state for plenty of overalls so I am not giving up on my ideas of SD fashion.

Sioux Falls is bigger than I thought--considering the whole state only has about 650,000 people, I was surprised that 160,000 or so of SD live in SF.  It isn't a bad city.  We found a great Thai place that we really liked.  I think at one time it was a 7-11 and it still had all that ambience, but the food was very good and it was inexpensive.  Three of us ate there for dinner for $45, and two of us had wine and none of us left hungry.  It was so good that we ate lunch there before we left town and we even asked the owners to open a second place in St Cloud.

Gee, go figure, but Sioux Falls is named after a water fall!  It wasn't quite Victoria Falls, but it is right in the city and I am sure that it would packed with people and picnickers on a hot summer day.  It was pretty on a cold windy afternoon,

Two funny little things. When I travel,  I always check for camera stores (of course).  My GPS found one nearby called Dakota Drain Cleaning and Camera.  I can't even imagine...

Best was when were coming back I detoured the mini-van (yes, I was a driving a mini-van.  Yes, I know that it was hard on my street cred) into Pipestone, MN.  The local beauty salon is called "Curl Up and Dye."  At least I think it was a beauty salon.  I am not sure I would let them cut my hair, but it was a great business name.

One of the photos is of course Sioux Falls in Sioux Falls.  The other is just a recent photo that I like

No comments: