Thursday, May 1, 2014

Michigan



I am officially a "Michigander."  I think.  A few things have led me to this conclusion. First, I killed a wild animal, albeit this time with my car.  The first victim was a turkey (probably named Tom).  There was a pack of them, probably on the way to dinner somewhere, that crossed the road for some reason and while I missed most of the herd, one got gobbled up by my rambling, rumbling Rouge.

I felt a little bad about this until I was a at a retirement party.  Three faculty were retiring, and between them they had hit about 15 deer and more of other things coming and going to work.  I guess my turkey was just part of my initiation.

I also feel like I belong because I think that I found a house.  On a lake.  With a view.  And with mosquitos.    What more do you need, eh?  It is about 25 or so miles from school so I will have a commute, but it is near roads that sometimes get plowed and only about three miles from a place where you could find food (that you didn't have catch or grow yourself).  I think it will work out.  Knowing for sure would take a bit of stress off this whole moving thing.

All in all, I fee that I am settling in.  People are correcting my spelling on my blog, telling me all the things that I need to know (and do) and generally treating me like normal. They certainly aren't intimidated or shy!   And that is a good thing, I think.

The weather here has been miserable.  The sun was out for a few minutes today, but this was the sunset, such as it was.  Everyone is tired of rain but tomorrow is graduation day.  The sun always shines on graduation, right?


No comments: