Monday, September 15, 2014

Irony on paper

So I have mentioned my latest, well, obsession, with printing presses, and I mentioned buying an English press.  It needed a few parts, especially a chase and rollers and I was having a hard time finding them at the usual printing supply places where I offer my custom.

I speak like that because the internet, as we know, is a wonderful thing in that it has made the world a much smaller place.  When I Googled Adana, the name of the press, I found Caslon Limited, the successor to the original Adana press supply company.  When I asked if they had parts for this 80+ year old press, they simply asked if I wished for new parts or refurbished, as they had both.  They sent me a PDF of their "offer sheet" and in their words, I offered my custom.  New and used parts are on their way whilst I wait, sipping tea and eating crumpets.

I had to laugh, though, at their e-mail of the receipt.  They sent it as a PDF, which is fine.  But this printing supply company cautioned against printing out the receipt because of the environment!  Seems an odd notice for a company that just sold me printing supplies so I can print reams of paper.  Not odd, but really and truly ironic.

I wonder if my press can print PDFs...

Dear Customer

Thank you for your recent order.   Attached you will find a copy of the invoice relating to this order attached as a PDF file.  If you have any queries relating to the invoice feel free to contact the Sales Office.

Please note that if you require us to send you a hard copy of the invoice, please let us know.

Best Regards
Sales Office

Caslon Limited, Caslon House, Lyon Way, St. Albans, Herts AL4 0LB / UK
Telephone: +44 (0)1727-852211 Facsimile: +44 (0)1727-855772
Website: www.caslon.co.uk Email: sales@caslon.co.uk

Consider the environment. Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to!

No comments: