Thursday, November 17, 2016

On the matter of 50,049 views...





This blog began about 9 years ago, and amazingly after all that time more than 50,000 hapless viewers have wandered onto this blog.  No doubt that some of the views have been mine--I always have to check to see if the blog looks OK after it is published, so say 600 and so of those views are mine.

Still, this is a milestone of some sort, though I doubt that it will deserve a roadside marker.  This blog has chronicled victories and defeats, high points and low points and it really is a version of the story of my last 9 years, from Ohio to Washington to Minnesota to Michigan and back to Minnesota.  From friends that were and from friends that are no longer.  From semi-coherent thoughts to thoughts that, in retrospect, maybe even captured the moment.  I recently re-read most of the postings.  I cried.  I laughed.  But mostly I thought, "huh, that is what I was thinking at that point in time..."

I have, no doubt, thought more than I have said over these past years, (thank heavens)  but I am also sure that I have said more than I should on some occasions.  I apologize for both extremes--I have certainly been cryptic at times, though mostly to protect myself and others.  And I have probably written some posts which probably seemed too lightly veiled.  Damn.  That middle ground is often hard to find, and I do apologize.

Recently I have had to cull and edit my Iphoto and Photo libraries.  Even in this version of my laptop I had more than 55,000 photos, and my Mac was at capacity.  It groaned if I wanted to save or import anything.  If you might imagine, I deleted more than 40,000 photos!  What is scary is that I did not hesitate to hit that delete button.  Most were duplicates and most were easily replaced if I ever might want, say, a picture of a flower.  Ooh.  Can you imagine how hard and unlikely that it might be that I would take a photo of a flower?  Imagine.  The overwhelming feeling was "what a bunch of crap!"  It reminds of what Tom Miller, one of the best history profs that I have ever had once said.  He said, "most books should be articles, and most articles should be lectures."  I suppose the lectures could be blog posts with photos--moments in time, but pretty certainly not worth keeping.  So I did hit the delete.  Twice, and those of you who have Macs know that what that means.

I have found this blob or blot or blog useful to me.  As an introvert, sometimes this is my only public face or my only face in public.  Too often I ruminate alone, and this space makes me think (and be) more publicly minded to sometimes all of our cost.  But it is important, and I so appreciate the comments from the 11 or so people who might occasionally visit this space.   What can I say?  Here is to the next 50,000 views!

The flowers?  Because I said we should all buy flowers just because since November 9th.  I have said that I have been buying and selling cameras like crazy and here is some of the evidence.  Five Hasselblads (look them up) have ended up in lap and 8 or so Leicas.  I marvel at them and use them, but they are mostly for Ebay fodder to help pay the rent.  They do, on occasion, make/take a pretty picture.

No comments: