Thursday, September 17, 2026

Things that you see when you looking for something else...

 This is day two of our road trip, and it was a great day.  We started in the (not) bustling town of El Paso, Illinois.  It is cute, I guess, in a grain farming kind of way. El Paso does have a an exceptional Carnegie library, and several hotels that probably should not have made the Expedia list. 

From El Paso we headed due east on the type of highway we prefer.  Highway 24 was drawn by a ruler across a landscape that changed only when the corn field transitioned into a soybean field.  The starkness and the flatness of the land is so different than what we are used to in Minnesota.  It has its own beauty for sure, but I can't imagine what it is like in winter.  It would be nice to have a tree or two for shade or to block the wind a bit.

It was even more striking because of the light.  It was misty and foggy this morning and while these photos don't do justice to the light, it was amazing.  I am not on my usual laptop and I

 feel it when editing.  I do think that you can see that things in the distance just fade into the mist, especially with the photo of the school bus.

To tie all this to the title of this blog, you have to look at the last three photos.  Indiana uses a type of crushed limestone on its secondary roads which make them almost white.  I wanted a photo of one of these roads heading into the darker sky.  I tried for that, and I don't think it worked all that well.  Then, when I was looking for that, I was visited by this hawk.  I will re-edit this sometime but it really was striking to see it float towards me.

 I am out of practice taking photos, that is for sure.  It isn't my camera, but the flaws are in the taking and the editing.  This is the perfect trip for me to practice and work on the holes in my technique.  We are so blessed--we have all the time in the world, we are just really wandering east, and both of us have a great sense of humor.  What more do you need? 






 

No comments: