We have left West Virginia and headed west towards Ohio. If you are confused about the title of this post, ask your parents or have a seance with Mr. Denver and they will explain. One thing that I can say with absolute certainty is this. If someone asked me what pretty drive could they take to see the fall colors, I would unreservedly suggest this: Go to West Virginia, find highway 50 and head west. That's all. Just drive along highway 50. We are about two to three weeks from dramatic color, but it is not hard to imagine that it will be spectacular. It is spectacular, albeit a bit dangerous or thrilling, when it is still green so it was fun to imagine what it will look like in a few weeks.
It was a great day, but even more so because it started at a gas station restaurant called "Biscuit World!" I saw the sign for this fine dining establishment last night when we were just driving into Clarksburg and I almost grabbed the wheel and forced us into the parking lot right then and now. My normal restraint (and the fact that I don't have a cooperating pancreas) allowed me to wait until breakfast this morning for this gastronomical heaven.
All told, it wasn't that bad. More carbs than any four people needed, mainly because the biscuits were as big as an average toddler's head. We have had worse breakfasts for sure, but I didn't have the Big Tator breakfast--maybe that would have been better. It did have a ton of gas station ambience and that is usually extra They even advertised for film and batteries though they had neither. I love that we could say we ate at a place called Biscuit World. I wish they sold t-shirts--I would proudly wear one of those. In XXL, of course, because I proudly eat at Biscuit World!
We made it Chillicothe, OH, and we are steeped in Ohio history. It was a very early white settlement and the city was the first capital of Ohio. There are several histories of the city and if I were being generous, I would say that most of them conveniently "condense" 10,000 years of Native American history into simple stories of how Indians used to live here. Since I am not often generous when it comes to things like this, I would say that the local histories were whitewashed, and that is pretty sad. It isn't unexpected but it is sad.
Tomorrow we have some decisions to make about direction and pace. We have been gone for 13 days of joy and slow progress. At this current pace, we would not be home much before Christmas. Well, a bit before that but it is time to head north. How we do that is still needs map-pondering and discussion. But we are heading there.





No comments:
Post a Comment