Sunday, December 21, 2008

Winter...

I am certain that if anyone is looking at this blog from the Midwest, they are laughing at this photo.  And making fun of me whining about the snow.  I know, it was -22 today, etc etc.  But put this in a NW perspective.  The other day, I was at Village Books, a great bookstore in Fairhaven.  The owner is a trustee at Whatcom and a really good guy.  He pointed out that his home town in central Illinois has 3,000 citizens, and he reminded me that his little town back east has more snow removal equipment than Whatcom County has.   Honestly, it has a few snow plows and a few sand trucks.  That is it.  My street has not been plowed nor will it be plowed.  Any street smaller than say, Main Street in Findlay, or Bracket Ave. in Eau Claire is not plowed.  That means that roads remain snow covered and slippery way longer than any decent Midwesterner would stand for.

No comments: