Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Another day, another post...










I just returned from dinner after a long day wandering. Apart from one HUGE museum, I have seen most of the sights that I wanted to in Florence, and feel more comfortable wandering a bit further afield Plus, I was able to do with chance at my side. I would walk, and then I would see something that I read about. I would walk further, lost, and then see another thing. I am seeing Florence the way I like it, without a guide book glued to my face. Or, if I was like some American tourists, with a GPS--turn right. Turn right. Recalculating. Make a U-turn. Arriving at castle/statue/church/art masterpiece on left.

Dinner was the best meal that I have had here, though it was but cheese and bread. But what cheese and what bread! OK, there might have been some wine involved. And a waiter who was a die-hard Red Sox fan who was so happy I rooted for the Twins. Made me want to sing "It's a small world!"

I think that I want to eat like the Italians do. Bread and jam and butter for breakfast, with good coffee. Maybe some yogurt. Lunch, who knows, but something simple. Dinner, like I had tonight. I suppose I will have to eat some vegetables occasionally. And for the record, Olive Garden/Americans use far more garlic than I have experienced. But I will have to learn to bake bread if I am to do this. There simply isn't an alternative to European bread. This is not stuff from a bread maker. What can you do in a simple oven? Or do I really have to get the three ton stone oven that some of the rustic bread is made in? Maybe I can borrow a friend's kiln! There are similarities, though bread at 1400 degrees might be vaporized.

All that said, while I have enjoyed my meals, I have not been overwhelmed with the sense of "I will never eat again so this rests on my tongue." Tonight was the closest, and that was more because of the feeling that I could eat like this and do it myself. Though unpasteurized cheese (and that bread thing) might a bit of a stretch, I could do this. No one would ever come to my house--all I would serve would be bread, cheese, perhaps some salami, and a stray tomato or two.

I saw a lot today, but nothing striking that I could capture on film (electrons?). There is more laundry, captured just like 1980s Fujichrome. I saw a cool reflection, and it didn't hurt that it was on a Fiat 500L that was a great color. There is a view of the bridge, and one of the north side of the Arno River. If you see the two towers in the middle, to the right of the dome, you are looking at the neighborhood where I am staying. Those are the two towers that I can see from my room. The lion is just cute. Roar, and all that. Three are pictures with color, a villa, a lane, and flowers. I watched this woman make marbleized paper for more than hour today--what a cool thing to make! I think I will try that when I get home. It might even be easier than bread making!

No comments: