Sunday, October 3, 2010

The next next post















I started my morning with breakfast, of course, at a small little Italian (aren't they all?) cafe, and while I was scarfing own my croissant and my bread and jam, and washing it down with an Americano with milk, I fell into a conversation with the couple next to me. Suffice it to say that there are no Starbucks here but this woman from the US was trying to explain to her new Italian boyfriend what coffee was like at an American coffee shop. She kept telling him about Venti's and half half vanilla latte's with or without foam that you bought and then walked around with, and he was incredulous. He finally asked me, the guy who was laughing out loud at this point, if these travesties to coffee and the coffee shop were true. Sadly, I confirmed the sad state of life in America...

I did have the chance to attend Mass at a nearby 15th century church. Of course, you say--Jason going to church and finding a convenient 600 year old church. Both are true. I know the term is perhaps overused, but amazing came to mind. I felt like I stepped back a few centuries in time. Yes, it was in Latin and I smelled like incense for hours, and the music from the monks and sisters lasted just as long. Maybe that is why I noticed Sisters/Nuns most of the day. They are so rare a sight in the US, but seemingly common here.

Americans are here, but I think that they are the minority of tourists. You can spot them easily, and they are painfully obvious. They are loud, take up more space, even the non-super-sized versions. The level of rudeness that I have seen already has been shocking...were Americans raised by wolves? Also obvious is the use of money belts/pouches under clothes. Certainly every Italian is just waiting to rob rich Americans--I watched one woman of a certain age virtually disrobe as she searched for a two Euro coin from her pouch, which was not only under her shirt but apparently under her bra as well. Can't be too safe, I guess. No wonder why there is this negative perception of Americans. Notice that I am excluding myself from this group. I have earned a slight break after being here 30+ times or at least I hope so. Also, with my haircut, I look like a Pole, or perhaps a Bulgarian. In the photos, I challenged a great scene with my visage--I might like the tables alone better.

I thought that there were some interesting grab shots of the tights and the puppy--bikes are everywhere. The outside of the building is a civic building, but I found it more interesting just because of where it was. There was a Hillfiger store almost below, with a Hermes store across the street and, of course, Tiffany nearby. The foot is David's but it isn't the part that is most photographed. Still, that Mike guy was pretty good. The couple was just cute. They walked single file on the narrow sidewalks, but at ever street crossing he waited for her so he could hold her hand. Sigh...

No comments: