Friday, October 1, 2010

Day 2...
















This is an interesting place. This is day two and another day to try and figure out which way is what, and I think that I am succeeding. I was out for about six hours, so it was a hike. At least this place is blessedly flat, which makes it an easy walk.

It rained pretty hard, so by the end of the the first part of the day, I was a bit damp and raggled, but I didn't melt. It made for some good umbrella photos, and as it was so warm, it was not uncomfortable. Just annoying--you know, glasses and rain. Later the sun came out, and I went out again for gelato. Life is not too bad...

A few funny things. First, I heard three great quotes. The first was, "Wow, everything looks so European!" To which her friend replied, "No, it looks so, so Italian!" I was kind of glad about that--I am in the right place, I guess. The last came later today when I heard one man exclaim, "That was fantastic Italian food!" I had to think about that for a moment, but then decided that it further confirmed that I was not lost in France or somewhere. I did walk a long way...

Some notes about the pictures. The bridge is the Ponte Vecchio, Florence's version of Prague's Charles Bridge. They are of similar age, but Florence built trading houses to sell gold, first to the Medici and others, and now to a million tacky tourists. The two towers are from my window--I will have to check what they are. Umbrellas are mostly by the Ponte Vecchio. It is a city of scooters. While traffic laws are let's say loosely followed, scooters simply ignore them--if I get run over, there will be a 99% chance that it was some Vespa rider who was drinking an espresso, holding an umbrella, and driving. I saw that today. The "waterfall" is the River Arno. The red cars are just cute. I grabbed one for my key chain, and the other I am shipping home in carry-on luggage. One is a Fiat 500--you sometimes see them in the US, but the other was badged as a Ferrari, but I suspect that just might be someone's idea of a joke. The color was right, though. There are smaller cars here, but they are trikes built on scooters. Just for reverence, the two-seat Smart car is about 18 inches longer than either of these cars. I just liked the ivy, and the couple looking at the menu. I did snag a laundry photo, but am still looking for weird Italian trees. All should be pretty self-explanatory.

No comments: