Thursday, February 3, 2011

Time for a walk

I read a remarkable book recently, one that has inspired me in many different ways. It was a gift from friend, and as I hope you all know, some of the best gifts are books. Or rugs, but that is a different story...

The book is by Patrick Leigh Fermor, a writer who is considered by many to be one of the best travel writers ever. Certainly he is the best that I have ever read. The first of his books that I read is the story of a remarkable walk that he started in in 1932. At the age of 17, he left England to walk to Constantinople, all across Europe in the tumultuous years before WWII. It is amazing story, and is also very humbling. As he walked he quoted Homer, in Greek, of course. And Shakespeare. And and and... Certainly public schools in prewar-England prepared 17-year-olds differently than our American schools prepare teenagers. Or those with Ph.D's, for that matter. It is an impressive book.

So what, I like a book...that happens now and again. Reading it made me want to walk somewhere. As much as I would like, I can't quite spend several years walking across Europe, and frankly, the Europe that Fermor walked across is sadly long gone. Besides that, I simply don't have the skills to do what he did. But I am not without resources, chief among them the internet, and I went looking for a walk that I might be able to do. And I found one.

One week from today I head for England and after a day or two in London, I am taking a walk, from Oxford to London. I think if I make it the entire way, the walk would be about 90 miles. I plan to walk about 70 or so, from Oxford to the outskirts of London. It should be about a five day walk--you can't have mountains along a river tow path, so it should be an easy walk. If I can avoid the siren call of little pubs, book stores, and the odd bakery and other charms of 500+ year old villages, I should be able to do to it if I can walk for six or seven hours a day. I am hoping that even an old, slightly pudgy guy should be able to do that! Plus, I am crazy, but not so crazy that I am going to do this in a three day rain storm. The temp should be in the 40s, but if it is colder or rainy, I will simply head back to London, where I know they have book stores, pubs, museums, bakeries, and Wagamama's. Trust me, only good weather will keep me away from the charms of London.

Hopefully, I will have all the good things-- good weather, good light, good shoes, and good travel. But how can bad can it be?

More soon

Cheers!



No comments: