Thursday, September 19, 2013

Birthday blog






Yep, it is that time of the year.  I dress in black, play sad songs, and mope because I am one year older. Not really.  I do hate staying at home alone, though, on this day.  I think about it, and in the past  10 years I have celebrated it in Ireland, England several times, Prague twice, Italy and in several other places in this country.  Weird that I escape for this day, even if it is to be alone somewhere else.

This year I am in Northern Wisconsin, which is pretty fun.  Except for the rain and fog.  I was up early and it was dry but  very foggy until about 9:30, but it has rained pretty steadily since then.  But I can say that I haven't had a single wood tick call me home.  Yet.

I stopped for breakfast at 6:30 in the little dinner in Port Wing, and it was great to listen to the local gentry share news and gossip.  I learned a lot-who had a 7 centimeter hernia repaired, who caught an otter while fishing, and that they shot a 586 pound bear way less than a mile from my estate.  Wow.  I'm not a big fan of hunting, but I have to say I am kind of glad that monster isn't roaming through my campsite!  I am not sure what I would say to him (or frankly, what I would say to any of his smaller cousins) if I did come face to face.  Hi?  Salted nut roll?  I did see bear poop before, so I know they are there, and my neighbors bait bears just on the end of my land.  I guess as long as I see bear poop and don't make up part of their poop I am ok.

I am killing time in a great coffee shop while I wait for my favorite place to eat to open for the dinner rush.  Broiled whitefish livers followed by grilled lake trout.  I bet it will be considerably better than Roberto's.

No comments: