Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Iron River

I am in Iron River, Wisconsin.  I suppose I was supposed to be in New Mexico but life and money got in the way, and this is a far more cost effective retreat.  I have several days off, as I am in danger of losing vacation, something that I am morally opposes to doing, so I fled town for a few days.

I meant to leave early today, but I ended up stopping at work for just a bit, which meant that I didn't get out of there until almost 2.  I got quite a bit done, and I left more for the program assistant to do--isn't that what bosses are supposed to do?  I call it "developing a good team" but I suspect that she calls it something else.  It was a long ride up here, and not just because I stopped at unclaimed freight for a bit of shopping.  As we transition into fall, the weather is having a hard time deciding what to do. By the time I got to Hinkley, it was so foggy that it was impossible to drive more than 35-40 miles per hour, and that fog lasted most of the 80 miles or so to Iron River.

Once here, I was starving, so I went to that famous Italian (actually the hotel staff referred to it as that "Eye-talian" place) named Roberto's.  Interesting place, and not at all Italian.  I had broasted chicken (good) and a glass or two of wine (bad).  I was the only soul in there which is always a little creepy to me.  I hate it when you are the only person that the whole wait staff can focus their attention on--besides, I always wonder if there is a reason no one else is there.  Is the food that bad?  Is there a health department van parked out front that I missed?  Is it because the cole slaw was bubbling?  Warm mayonnaise isn't that bad for you, is it?

I am up north to hang out, and really, not to be at work.  Ahh, work.  Not my happy place of late.  Oh well.  I plan to conquer wood ticks and get lost on 20 acres, if I can.  And answer three questions, if I can.  They are:

1.  Do I have to be a dean?
2.  Do I want to be a dean?
3.  Should I even be a dean?

Big questions, ones that may/will shape my life for a few years.  I honestly do not know, or at least haven't fully answered these questions.  Maybe I don't have to know right now.  Or maybe, there is an opening at Roberto's.  I would welcome other input on these questions as I try and answer them--please write.


No comments: