Saturday, September 21, 2013

Just another day













I should write more, but I am tired and tomorrow is just another another day.  I spent most of a day on the "farm" but it someways it was frustrating.  My goal was to just "make" or find a spot to build a little deck to make a campsite.  The idea was to clear an area and then build a small deck.  Then, I hoped that this small spot would be a place to "be" while I looked around and found a spot to build Casa de Tetzloffski, the home for the baron of the estate, a palatial 8X12 or maybe a bit bigger cabin.

Well, I guess not.  There is just too much brush.  I could handle cutting down a tree or two, but not if I have to fight brush and scrub  trees.  Considering my fairly limited chainsaw skills, I can't imagine trying to do that with brush grabbing at a me/the saw.  I like my legs/arms/digits.  So I spent some time talking to some folks who can can make a driveway of sorts and clear about a 60X60 cabin spot. That would take me months and perhaps a limb.  To have someone else do it would cost about $6-700.

I have been wondering about why I am interested in doing all this.  I blame it on my literary youth.  I read and loved books  such as Farley Mowat's Two Against the North and other adolescent lit books where people where thrust into the wilderness and had to survive and be self-sufficient. I think that this feeling or need grows as I am or my livelihood is threatened and is uncertain, I move more towards this survivalist (in a good way) mode.  I joke that I might need to be able to live off the land and sell potatoes and candles to survive.  I hope it doesn't become that dire for I would hate to be in a pre-apoclyptic world that would depend on my carpentry skills.  Or my gardening or candle-making skills.

The pictures are pretty easy to figure out. The photos of the flowers are of the wild flowers seen on my land.  The glade is not an air freshener but the spot that I have cleared out for a possible starting point.  The sunsets are from Cornucopia and there is one random tree with color.  There isn't much color--it may be at least one more week.

 Today I will go to a gun show, think about what kind of freeze dried food is best, and then buy a manual typewriter and a dictionary so I always spell manifesto correctly.  Or, go have a latte and a scone, and find someplace that I can find a salad that is not a quarter head of iceberg lettuce with French dressing.

No comments: