Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Almost Thanksgiving







We had snow last night--go figure.  It was the kind of snow that is picturesque.  Certainly these photos don't capture the majesty of it all as men and technology just lack the ability to even come close.  Still, these photos give a glimpse of my wintery world.

It is almost Thanksgiving and people have been asking me what I am going to do.  I think of traveling and then I remember that the last time I traveled they closed the UP of Michigan, a place that seriously understands and copes with winter.  So I am not that thrilled with the prospect of 1500 miles of potential winter driving conditions.

I will probably stay close to home for most of the weekend.  To mark perhaps the high point of what might positively be called a "quiet life," I am excited that I am getting four new fonts of type today in the mail.  I guess in my life, nothing says excitement like "let's sort type!"    I can work on my visual acuity and practice my alphabet skills with big and little letters!  Whee!!!  I will mind my p's and q's though honestly I have more trouble with the b's and d's.

As for eating, I seldom go hungry but I will make an effort.  Hunters around me have offered bits of beasts of one kind or another to roast.  But I have been a successful hunter, too.  Don't mice count?  I have bagged a handful of the little _(!@$*)!@# in the past few days, almost enough for a mouse moose, or however you spell it.  A pie?  How long do you roast the little devils?  Mouse mignon?  Rodent ratatouille?

Nah, I will pass.  I will probably carefully brine some chicken wings, make some tater tots, and call it a meal. OK, I might aim a bit higher than that.  There is no KFC near here, so I will have to cook something. I promise it won't be something that you get at the only gas station in town, though I did see that they upgraded their wiener roaster and added new varieties…

I will in the end roast a chicken, make dressing and all that.  And shovel.

No comments: