Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Winter--it's for the birds







Winter has struck and it seems to be staying around for a bit.  Probably only for 5-6 months, but it will be here for a while.  I have about 8-10 inches of snow on my house, but our campus center "up North," only 40 miles away has almost 30 inches and that will increase tonight as they are predicted to get 5-7 more.

While some around here seemed non-plussed by all of this, I am a bit nervous.  It is the middle of November and we are all OK with this?  We should fight!!!  Protest!!!  Rail agains the Man!  Or whatever it takes to lodge our protest agains this much snow so early.

My office has a window which is nice.  It does let a bit of light in during our 20 minutes or so of daylight, but it also let's me look out on the world.  I have seen turkeys out of it.  Man, that is a great line…some even had feathers!  Right now I can see the bird feeder right hanging right outside of it.  It is a busy place, the water fountain of the bird office world.  Birds flock (ha ha) to it, flitting and flying around.  It is almost like having an aquarium to watch though there are no fish or water or, well, an aquarium.  But otherwise that feeder is just like an aquarium.

I have to admit that this is only the third time that this blog has posted a picture of a bird.  There was an eagle once, and an osprey and a woodpecker another time and the predictable phot of the Kirtland warbler..  These aren't quite as majestic as they were just little things.  The males, of course, were better looking, but they were all pretty cute.  I will not venture a guess as to what kind of a bird thingy it is as I am certain one of the four or five people who actually read this blog will tell me what these were.

No comments: