Sunday, August 24, 2008

Again, I need that book.  Calling these daisies and blue/purple flowers seems a bit weak.  There were yellow flowers, too.  Wow, I pretty much know the Latin names!  There were green things, too.

I had a much easier trip and I credit that to the weather.  I took more photos, and had a pretty relaxing time of it. I am anxious to see the rest of the photos, and am hopeful that the lab does a bit better job of it.  I am looking forward to developing the black and white film that I shot.  I will be developing this in a bathroom--I haven't done that for 30 years.  The more things change...

It may seem that all I do is walk around and take photos, but I do work.  Some have asked what exactly I do at my new job.  It is still being determined, but I am gaining a better idea.  Here is what I know for sure.  I go to meetings.  I deal with the same things that I have seen at four different colleges.  It is more a matter of scale, I think, but the topics under discussion area the same.  They include distance ed and on-line classes, staffing of classes, funding, budgets, enrollment and on and on.  People here do seem to be pretty friendly about it all, which helps.  Most of the people who are my direct reports have met with me, and told me what I should do and need to do and shouldn't do--they haven't had a new person to do that with for a while, so that it is to be expected.  My bosses have been great--I think that we both have more questions of each other than any real answers, but so far it has worked out well and I have enjoyed getting to know them.  One boss and I share a program assistant, and she is wonderful--that is more important than most people realize, and I feel lucky for the accident of staffing.

I think that I travel next week for a few days to someplace exotic, like Everett.  I am sure that it will get busier and busier as the start of school approaches.  It is very different preparing for a start date of September 22!  I have heard that the enrollment numbers are pretty good for the fall, and I think we will have a full house.  It is nice to see more and more people on campus.

No ideas as to what what I will be doing for the long weekend.  It is odd.  For most of the last 5 or more years, I have been so much busier than I am right now.  I have no doubt that it will get busier, but right now, for the first for a long time, I have a what I think you would call an "8 to 5" job.  That is great, but different.  Now, I have to get a life of sorts outside of work.  I don't know how to do this.  Does Costco have them?  Do I look on the internet?  I think it might involve getting a hobby, or something like that.  That might be theme these next few weeks, and I am sure it might be worth a post or two.

No comments: