Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Change

First, I am here.  My little car and I made it all the way here, more than 2500 miles.  I have most of the stuff out of the car and my car is issuing several different kinds of sighs of relief.  I went to the grocery and bought a bottle or two of wine.  Done with the major traveling and heavy lifting, still working on the wine.

I think that I have avoided being too reflective in my posts, though there has been plenty of time to reflect on this journey.  One the luxuries and the curse of spending most of 4 days in a car, I guess.  I did the use that time to think but I also listened to books on tapes, er, CDs.  The highlight of that was listening to "The Kite Runner."  What a fantastic book, and I enjoyed every minute of the 13 hours that it took the author to read his book.  There are several themes in the book, but I think that the overriding theme was that of change.  That said, it fit perfectly into my mood and experiences.  

I have thought about this and of how to address this.  Maybe this is the best way.  One of my best friends ever in the whole world is addressing and facing lots of change right now.  As my friend moves to perhaps a series of radical changes, I am reminded of a truly great quote in the book.  He writes that basically when facing great change, one has to deal with what is the dichotomy of change.  You either face the certainty of turmoil if you don't change, but if you do, you face the turmoil of uncertainty.  This is very apt in my friend's case, but it also is reflective of what I faced.  If I had stayed at Owens, there is no doubt that I would have faced certain turmoil, some inflicted, and some self-inflicted.  It was certain that I would have it at work and in Findlay, broadly speaking.   Out here, I will face the turmoil of uncertainty, but somehow I like that it is unknown and uncertain.  

My friend worries more than almost anything about the the uncertainty.  But I have told my friend that the future can be shaped and controlled and you can be proactive in its unveiling.  Not changing simply means turmoil and  being reactive, and having to fight to affect ot change anything.  Now that things are changing, it offers a chance to make things happen that my friend can affect.  I look forward to being able to affect these coming changes.  I hope my friend is, too.

I will show and tell more about where I am at tomorrow, with photos.  It will be nice to show people  my new space as I discover it.  

No comments: