Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Cowboy cookies...

I am baking cowboy cookies right now--it seems late to do this, as I have had a long day. I was at work at 6:30 this morning and it is 9PM now. Yes, you read this right--at work! I am a consultant, if you can believe it, and a grant writer, temporary, for the local university. It is a part-time gig, for sure, but a significant "job" for me, in terms of money and especially in terms of skill development and connections. It offers an unbelievable deadline and lots of work, but at this point, I will take it.

But let's talk cowboy cookies. The supreme cookie of all times, in the crunchy crispy, the way God intended, category. And, my favorite cookie since I was about five. It is one of those food items that have taste AND memory embedded into my DNA. I wish I could make this a scratch and sniff blog--my house smells better than any candle, better than any perfume smells. Well, let me think about the perfume....it's close on that one. I think they are perfect, but I do believe that cookies should be crisp and crunchy, not soggy and incorrectly (under) cooked. I remember a long-term argument over this very point--and I was always right! Soft cookies are simply wrong.

More than that are the memories that come with this. The smell transports me to various parts of my life. Coming home from school when I was in grade school and smelling these as I walked into my house. With a high school friend, eating a dozen or so cookies after wrestling practice. And the last memory of baking and eating a few with a friend. As an adult, I bet I can remember everytime I ever made or helped make them and remember each situation.

The last time I made these cookies was more significant than I realized. It was a wonderful night, with lots of fun and laughter. I never knew how important those 15 or so minutes while the cookies were baking really could be and were. It's weird where the cookie smell intoxication can take you.

The recipe for cowboy cookies, from my sister Janet. And from memories....

Cowboy Cookies: (from Home, Home on the Range)

In a large bowl, combine:
1 c. white sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. shortening (plain; must be shortening, not oleo or butter)
Cream together until fluffy
Then, beat 2 eggs
Plus 1 t. vanilla
into mixture until smooth

Measure in another bowl:
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. baking powder
2 c. sifted flour
Blend all dry ingredients well, then:

Pour in with sugar/egg mixture and mix well. (you will need to stir by hand at this point, as it is a bit thick)

Add:
1 pkg chocolate chips (Nestle's Semi--Sweet Morsels still seem (and taste) the best!)
2 c. Quick Oats (I still use Quaker for flavor and texture--trial and error over the years!)

You can add chopped nuts or raisins if desired.

Drop by teaspoons on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes.

No comments: