Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Friends, flowers, and fall...







I have a friend who keeps me photographically honest and humbled and by doing so, he challenges me to be better. This blog has been filled with flower photos, but a recent e-mail from him shows me that I (will always) have room to grow. The purple flower is his, and it is great.

But still I try. I once had a friend who loved flowers, especially daisies, and photos of them once decorated the office and their home. Perhaps they still do, I don't know. My goal for a long time was to make a wall somewhere with a flower or two. Even though that goal has changed, when I see daisies, I sometimes think of how I might take a new or different picture--even when I know that I have a different or perhaps indifferent audience. The last of fall daisies, along with a few new pitchers still gave me something to work with today. These are, like me I suppose, a work in progress.

This afternoon I walked outside and saw a maple that was deep red in the late afternoon sun. Against a deep, almost black stormy sky. With a rainbow. I looked, and said, wow, I bet that would make a good picture. And then I thought, wow, it would have been great to have a camera... I rushed home after missing all that but salvaged a bit of and then ended my day with this sunset, a sunset only possible after an early autumn storm.

No comments: