Sunday, October 4, 2009

On (my) photography




I have reviewed the last few months of blog postings, especially the photographs. I am not totally displeased with many of them, but I am aware that there has been no work that has indicated a break thru to a new level of seeing. The pictures are, well, pleasant. Probably well exposed, reasonably well composed and well, adequate. And they are, well, similar. I bet that they are better than average when looking at most photo blogs.

Hmmm... Pleasant? Adequate? Similar? Better than average?

These aren't exactly the descriptive terms that a photographer lives for. I am not exactly in a fugue state, or at a low point, but I am not exactly at the high point of my photographic, artistic bio-rhythm. I think that I am simply working through the process of photography right now. Looking, seeing, capturing, and, with the blog, presenting. Some would say that my anti-social nature or tendencies are showing, too, as there are virtually no people in my pictures, and if they are, they totally anonymous--no cutlines here.

So why keep doing this? Well, while the photos are only pleasant and adequate, I don't think that they are offensive or hard to look at. I hope that some do enjoy them, and that some will enjoy them in the future. In the mean time, I will keep working on it. A few goals. I will try and self-assign a project or two that might go beyond "pleasant." I need to and will try to go back to my roots as a photojournalist. Heaven forbid that I will end up at a high school football game or be shooting the pet of the week, but at least I will try and take some pictures of non-anonymous people. And most importantly, I will work on establishing a web page that will (finally) organize and better present my photos. Lastly, remember that I do take requests!

Stay tuned...


Notes on the photos above
  • Fall flowers, probably some form of a dahlia
  • Early morning light turns the water metalic

No comments: