Sunday, October 4, 2009

On thinking of and about photography...

I am aware of the many changes that photojournalism and editorial photography has endured and is experiencing. Some of these changes have been allowed by technology, others forced by the economy.

As many of us are aware, some of the technological ones are both good and bad. While I long for Kodachrome reds and even the colors of EPR or EPP, I have, like many, embraced the immediacy and the increasing quality of the digital world. I also know of the seductiveness of Photoshop and the increasing demands for its use. And its increasing ease of use. The photos that you see on my blog are only barely touched--I adjust the exposure, sharpen it a bit and then post them. However, Photoshop in all its variations allows so much more. New nose or eyes? Tired of that pesky wrinkle/mole/errant eyebrow? No problem. And I personally know photographers who have both enhanced their career and in one case ended their career with the aid of Photoshop.

What I find interesting is the quality of writing about photography right now. I recently met someone who approaches the whole field with an impressive point of view. Check out is his blog at http://aricmayer.blogspot.com Equally impressive is his portfolio, found at www.aricmayerstudios.com. In different ways, he points out at the fallacies or really the flaws of the current business plans of editorial outlets. More interesting is his take on the dangers of excessive "photoshoping" from the perspective or someone who has seen these excesses first hand.

Equally interesting are the writings of collegiate friend of mine from UW-Eau Claire. Chris Boese does several thing, I think, besides providing an excellent running commentary journalism as a whole on Facebook. For a mile-high view of industry, including photojournalism, I think that she does a great job. She has numerous venues, but here is one to start: http://www.serendipit-e.com/blog

All in all, these are topics worth writing about.

No comments: