Wednesday, January 13, 2010

On the nature (and ranking) of work...

I wandered across a blog today that caught my eye. It was called PhotoEditor and it was interesting. One post was very enlightening if not a bit depressing. It was a ranking of 200 jobs and the findings were surprising. You can find it here, http://www.careercast.com/jobs/content/top-200-jobs-2010-jobs-rated

I was pleased to find out that the job of historian was ranked #5! I am assuming that was because of the no/low stress, no heavy lifting, and indoor-nature of the job. I was confused a bit by the #1 job, that of an actuary. Wow, could you handle the excitement of that job? Wouldn't that be part of the ranking? I wondered about sociologists, who were way down to about #22. Then I realized that they had to deal with people and then it made some sense.

I must have made at least some correct career moves, because a plain old photographer was at #126, just below a waitress job. But above an autobody repair person (#130) or a maid (#131) so that is something, I guess. Surprisingly, a photojournalist ranked #189, below a firefighter at #188 and oddly enough, above a butcher who sliced their way to #190. I don't know, but the list must be accurate, because after 15 years as a photojournalist, I still would put the job ahead of a butcher's job. Almost every day.

There were some other interesting rankings. Clergy clocked in at #96, below a newscaster which snagged #95, and, thank heavens, above a dentist, whose job was only the 97th ranked job. Lawyers didn't even make the list, but come to think about it, neither did deans...hmmm


No comments: