Monday, January 11, 2010

St Cloud, part one...



My first two pictures from Minnesota, or Centrasota or Midesota, as they often call it there. One photo is of bustling downtown St. Cloud, the other near Becker/Monticello. I think that is where the nuclear plant is and it is about 20 minutes from St. Cloud. Scenic and, of course, cold. In the flatlands, the steam from the cooling towers is the tallest/biggest/most dominant thing to see. For miles and miles. It ain't Mt Baker, but what can you say?

There are lots of differences besides the weather. St. Cloud is about the same size as Bellingham, has a similar-sized state university and community college (go Cyclones!) and the usual assortment of chain stores/places to eat. Except St Cloud has but two Starbucks and Bellingham has 16 or so...what will I ever do??? Where will I get my half half extra pump, 1/2 extra shot, no foam 150 degree, poured by red-haired left-handed baristas, vanilla latte? I think most people here are more likely to have coffee with Juan Valdez and drink coffee that they boil or percolate.

There are coffee shops, but they are different. One is downtown in the ING financial building. It is a good place--I think the drinks are subsidized by the company, as a large latte is only $2.00. But the Baristas are actually bankers in bright orange ING mufti, and will and can sell you an IRA or a CD along with your mocha. Interesting concept, but free Wi-Fi and cheap chai's means I'll be back.

On the way to Eau Claire, I stopped along the way at a Caribou Coffee, which appears to be the dominant coffee chain in the area. They are nice shops, far larger than the typical Starbucks around here. They often have a large meeting room. I knew immediately I wasn't in Kansas or Washington anymore, as the large group in the meeting room was a church group and they were singing. Kumbaya, in fact. Now that is something that you won't come across in Bellingham.

No comments: