Sunday, November 4, 2012

Other books

So one anonymous person asked what other books I have read so the below is the answer to that question.

I am and have been a fan of Louise Erdrich for more than 20 years, and I just enjoyed reading her latest book, The Round House.  I am trying to think--I suppose that some her books have been mysteries or at least have had questions or riddles (or lives) to solve and puzzle through, but this is a real mystery and I was surprized to see Amazon classify it as such.  I think that it is bit richer than that.  Well, it is a bit richer than most of the other mysteries that I sometimes fill my Kindle with.  As with all her books, there is history and family that provides the undercurrent and foundation to the book.  I guess I like that--doesn't history and family provide all our foundations?  This book is edgier than than some of hers, but it also moves a bit more quickly.  I am not sure if I wanted to begin reading her books I would start with this one, but then again, it may be the most stand alone novel that she has written.  Only rarely does she rely on the web of family that she so carefully has created in her other books.

It is unusual, I think, to read the book after you see the movie that was made from that book but I made that exception in this case.  Last Sunday I went to see "Perks of Being a Wallflower" and was very impressed.  While perhaps a tad bit unrealistic (I am pretty certain I don't remember high school that way, and Emma Watson types were never interested in any shy introverted loners at my school--I could only dream...) it was still very good.  It touched on the usual teenage angst coming-of-age themes but also touched on cliques and being gay and coming out and teen suicide and the absolute crushing loneliness of being different and scared and being on the outside looking in.  So I bought the book, and since it's short, read it one late-night sitting.  The movie, with its focus on time and fewer words, used shortcuts to tug on your heart, and I realized that I was not the only one crying in the movie.  The book more fully explained why you would cry or really why you should cry and most people will.  Actually, they were far more alike than is usual between a book and a movie and the movie.  I think the movie  fully captured the spirit of the book--perhaps this was allowed by having the author direct the movie.  It won't be the the next Catcher but it should be read by more people.

Today I read John Grisham's latest, The Racketeer.  Yawn.  It was readable but certainly not memorable.

I wonder why I have read so much lately--I have had no more time, really, and my life is generally pretty good.  There are some dark corners and holes from a loss here and there so perhaps I am trying to  fill these corners and holes with fiction.  Normally I am more nourished by the visual side of my little brain, and maybe because of my well-documented shortcomings in that area I am turning to books to fill that void.  I guess it is saving viewers from even more blogs of flowers and the inane.  I guess we all have to put up with words for a bit.

No comments: