Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving





Sometimes I think about the title of my blog which is of course Travels, Adventures, and Life.  Those who have stayed with the blog for all these years have probably read about each of those three things, though not in equal measure.  I think that there probably has been more posts that are just about life rather than travels.

These past few days are indicative of why there has been more about life than there has been about travels.  I had perfect intentions for this holiday weekend and I was supposed to be somewhere in the Olympic National Park in Washington State.  But life intruded and I am instead walking around St Cloud.

It is hard to say all of the whys that would explain the changes, and I can't and won't try. Suffice it to say that I have more important things to deal with and manage here than to head west for a little walkabout so I changed my plans.  I am sad about that, but I have to recognize that this is progress of sorts--most of my life I would have just said "whatever" and gone anyway, but I'd best deal with this and pay attention here.  We will see how this all might turn out.

The change made me scramble a bit for dinner today.  While eating a turkey loaf sandwich from a gas station is OK when you are on an adventure, that wouldn't have cut it for a thanksgiving dinner at home. I do like leftovers, but I hardly needed a whole turkey, even a small one.  Besides they were all frozen.  So I found a chicken and roasted it with tarragon and garlic butter.  I made stuffing with chestnuts, raisons, apples and pine nuts and garlic.  I relished the relish of gourmet jellied cranberries.  The mashed potatoes were new red ones and were made with garlic,  butter, and half and half which completely negated any nutritional value of the noble potato.  It wasn't all that bad.  If the smells lingering in my house are any indication, I might have perhaps probably used a tad bit too much garlic in my endeavors but it was pretty good overall.  Plus the meal yielded the correct amount of leftovers which is of course the main purpose of such a meal.

When I sat down to my meal, with my half full glass of wine it started to snow with great big Snoopy-like flakes.  Once I was done, I wandered a bit trying to find a picture for the day.  Ironically, I found a picture of about 30 wild turkeys scratching for their dinner after escaping being a dinner.

No comments: