Sunday, November 11, 2012

Pea soup

It might have been a way to describe last night's fog, but really, it was my dinner.  I made yellow pea soup, apparently a Swedish staple, for dinner/lunch.  It seemed a good day for soup of one sort or another and I thought I would try something different.

Apparently I am not hardcore Swedish enough, which doesn't surprise me at all.  I mean, there isn't a single piece of herring in my house.  None-the-less, I was not too impressed with the results.  It was somewhat bland and I am still not convinced that the spice marjoram  is the spice of life.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.  With research, I found out some tricks.  The first was to add hot brown mustard to it as you eat it.  Now why that didn't come to mind immediately still escapes me.  Or, one recipe has you using salted pork, though a bit different than the salt pork I am used to from my Arkie youth.  I guess you cut up the pork shoulder roast and put it in a bowl and then pack it tight and layer it with salt.  Let it sit like that for at least overnight, and then use it.  Hmmm

Actually, I liked the meat part of it, but the pea part of the soup was so-so bland, even with more marjoram.  Whatever that is.  I salvaged the meal for sure with good slightly sweet cornbread, and while the wine was pretty indifferent ( it was white, after all) the meal itself was filling and left a warm glow.  Now if I can only find hot brown mustard and a herring breath mint...

No comments: