Saturday, June 27, 2015

Arts and Crafts...




I really did spend most of the day on arts and crafts.  No, not on those bracelets or lanyards that we made at the summer school programs, but sort of like real things.  I mentioned that I bought a cast iron sewing machine base, one for a "The Free" sewing machine company from Rockford, IL.  This one was a little rusty but not too bad, so I steel-wooled the whole thing, clear coated it, and made it ready for a table top.  The wood top took a lot of work--it was a shelf in a 1930s era house, but I wanted to use it because it is 21 inches wide--one board!!  You have to work to find lumber that wide.  I am not set on the top, so I won't fasten it down too tight, but it will work for now and I think it looks OK.

Other tasks included replanting my herb garden (I forgot to unplug the drains in the planters so they were mud puddles) and then cleaning up my fire pit.  It has been there, but it was full of wood.  What's the idea with that?  So I emptied it, put gravel around it so I won't start the lawn on fire, and got it ready for a fire.  Tomorrow, I hope.  Maybe even with smores...now there is an idea!

No comments: