Saturday, June 13, 2015

I got nothing...

Though I was on the road most of the day, I took not a single photo.  It was a reasonably nice day, but nothing grabbed my attention.  I started out in Gaylord at an outdoor antique "fair" and it was perfect early summer day--slightly cool, nice breeze, and lots of sunshine.

I did find a few treasures.  I liked a sewing machine stand even though it was a brand I never heard of.  95% of the ones you see are Singer ( do you know I have a 45 minute lecture on the sewing machine for when I teach history?) but this one had "The Free" in cast iron script.  I will make a nice table with minimal work.  I also found a great little blue vase and, of course, a camera. 

Since I was already pretty far north, I headed to Mackinaw City.  I was hoping for fresh fish, but I did stop in town.  It was very disappointing.  Picture Wisconsin Dells on a crowded day with the Midwestern-type of people and countless high-end stores that sold t-shirts.  And fudge.  Did I mention that there were t-shirt shops?  I was just in Traverse City, and while they have t-shirt shops, there are also some very nice (read expensive) stores.  In Mackinaw City, the expensive things were the three for $33.00 t-shirts and the deals that sold fudge in five pound lots.

So I headed to Cheboygen which is a cute little town  on the "sunrise" side of the state.  There were some cute shops and an art show.  The art show reminded me of some that I exhibited at--let's just say that most booths pushed the definition of art.  I did find pot holders, which I did need, but I resisted the most popular item there, the towel that hangs on your oven. I counted nine booths that sold them.   Maybe next time...

And I did find a fish store.  A fish monger's store?  I'm not exactly sure what to call it.  I bought fresh walleye for tonight and for tomorrow, a whole lake trout to bake.  It is all about those omega threes, you know...

So the menu at "chez Jason's" is a walleye fillet with lemon, roasted Russion (who knew?) fingerling potatos, and roasted (fresh) green beans with sea salt and garlic.  It is all being washed down with a nice Pinot Grigio.    Tomorrow's fish will be baked with shallots, onions and ginger,  butter, and a touch of white wine.  I have new baby baby red potatoes from the farm market--locally grown and about the size of big marbles.  I will mix those with peas and cook them in cream and salt and pepper.  I am telling you, I am working on my professional menu debut, though the peas and potatoes is a comfort food from growing up.

No comments: