Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Fair winds...








Hoquiam, WA...

I am on my road trip, and in a small coastal town in Washington, and getting ready to head to the rain forest. It is a bit later than I had hoped--it was a kind of a late night The aptly named Econolodge has econo-walls, and it was loud last night. It was non-stop Rascal Flatts, (OK, it wasn't just that Rascal guy...it was a whole stable of country western musicians--and for the record, I do like a very small, limited, tiny amount of Western music) if you can imagine, and well, they weren't exactly fighting, if you get my drift.

So it is a late start but first I wanted to post a few pictures. Yesterday along the way I went to the Puyallup Fair, perhaps the largest fair in Washington. Its not a state fair, but it isn't it isn't the Hancock County fair, either. It is entirely capable of filling anyone's need for food on a stick, rides, and/or the smell of um...manure. It was fun. I ate a perfectly awful corn dog at the "Crusty Pup." I was approached by Carnies selling everything from windows to absorbent mops to pots and pans. In fact, one of the largest sponsors of the fair is Kitchen Craft, a Wisconsin company that makes pots and pans. They have a whole building named for them, and countless booths pitching the pans.

It was senior day, and I was a little younger then most of the crowd. They didn't totally fill up the roller coaster or the other rides, but they filled up ever demonstration seat available, and they cheered the banjo band. And probably lined up at the Metamucil stand.

I ended up at the beach at sunset, on the Pacific coast. I live in a place where you can see the water, albeit a ways away, but the ocean is very different than Puget Sound. The vastness of the view is mind-boggling, and humbling. I will take more photos as I can.

No comments: