Sunday, September 20, 2009

Home


I made it back to Bellingham yesterday just in time to see the sunset--it was a nice change from hours of driving in the rain, and reminded me once again why I like this area.

The whole area is abuzz with football talk right now--the University of Washington, previously ranked about 127th, and a double digit under "dawg" improbably beat USC, the (previously) third ranked team in the country. I guess that is why UW paid 1.8 million for a new coach, but it meant that Seattle was seriously crazy as I drove through town. Or tried to. There were only 60,000 at the game, but another 100,000 wanted to go there after the game to help the team celebrate.

I had a fun trip--like I mentioned once, it was almost too much to see in such a short period of time. I discovered that I do love the ocean side of Washington and Oregon--I saw it on calm, peaceful days, and it made me want to see the ocean and sit on the beach on an angry day, with wind and crashing surf. I felt that I went to an area or a beach, and then I had to leave because the light was changing or I wanted to go some where else before the light was gone. It would fun to go and rent a house and just wander the beaches for hours. Maybe...

It was a time to get away and perhaps gain a bit of perspective about all that is going on right now. Plus, with a birthday thrown in there, it was a time to be even more self-reflective about where I am right now. I came up with no concrete answers, other than to further confirm the realization that the next few months will be a challenge.

It might very well be time to feed different parts of me. I thought about this while I was watching the surf. Parts of me are easy to feed, but the social and the aesthetic parts of me, well, I need to work on those things so I don't end up a recluse who just takes pictures of sunsets and flowers and memorizes all the episodes of NCIS. I don't know how or what all I need to do to avoid this.

It is something that I am working on. While I am watching the sunsets.

No comments: