Monday, July 25, 2011

Lillies and Poetry










I told someone that I have read a lot (well, a lot for me) of poetry lately. It is kind of fun, and while I don't fully understand all of it, I do like doing this. Perhaps it is because most are short enough to fully read before I fall asleep--I used to read novels before bed, then short stories, but now a nice sonnet seems to fit the bill. Ha ha. Most nights I can make through several of them...

But I am struck by the imagery in these words, if for no other reason than I know I sometimes try and do that with my photos...but in reverse. What words can I say in an image? It's an interesting thought and exercise. I know my photos don't always elicit deep thoughts, much to my disappointment. Like we all want ourselves to matter, most of us want our artistic expression to matter as well. At best, I can hope that it sometimes does.

Lilies have made me think about this. There is so much imagery and symbolism tied up with that one flower. Yellow means false and gay or that I am walking on air because of you. Tiger lilies symbolize wealth and pride, and day lilies are tied to Chinese proverbs and beliefs about motherhood and coquetry and charm. Interesting, eh?

But maybe lilies and poetry exist beyond the imagery and symbolism that they do sometimes represent. Maybe you can look at a flower photo, no matter the type, and simply just like them. And maybe you can read Edna or Ezra, T.S. or Robert or whoever, and not understand all the imagery and symbolism. Maybe, like a photo, you an just say you like the poem, for whatever reason. And maybe you will like one of these.

No comments: