Sunday, July 10, 2011

Senior moments

I am sitting here in the dark though it is barely 8PM. We have thunder storms coming in, and warnings are posted for Sterns County. I am ok because Sterns County is about 500 yards away. I am sure that it won't rain or storm here.

I am afraid the light matches my mood. Let's say it wasn't the best of weekends but more than that, I not only feel old and it seems everyone else thinks I am old, too. Especially those AARP people. In the past few weeks, I have received no less than five emails and two pieces of regular mail from them. I can get long term care insurance, prescription services, rental at resorts specializing in "elder" retreats, and discounts almost everywhere with my AARP card. Wow, 10% off at Arbys--yippee!!!

A new "service" also made its way to my inbox. Apparently more and more people over 50 are single, and a new website, Older Personals, is up and running. It is designed to help those over 50 find love. Or someone to wipe the drool off their chin, or share Geritol, help break feet of clay, or set up shuffleboard games. Or maybe even find love. Dating at mid-life--apparently it's not for the faint of heart.

Of course, all of this is humorous to me and to others. I complainingly emailed one of the AARP ads to a younger friend and her response was, and I quote, was "hahahahahahahahaha." Actually, there were a few more haha's in her response. I do laugh, but I recognize that I have earned getting on these mailing lists, no matter my resistance or unwillingness to believe that I am getting older. I don't see myself as old, but I have to remember that most others do. Even the people who don't know me but only know my stats on a web page.

So my goal is at best to remain young at heart. I ignore the slight aches in the morning and/or after a walk, and resist knowing my doctor by her first name or memorizing her phone number. I am sure I can't ignore all this forever. But I can ignore the AARP ads and for at least a few years, ignore the Elder Personal site for love.




No comments: