Thursday, October 25, 2012

First snow



For so many of my years, I went chasing for a "first snow of the year" photo, and that is a hard tradition to give up.  Today it snowed, and is snowing still, and I had to get out and take some photos.  I am "up north" at a conference, so time was limited as was editing equipment and software, but you get the idea.  The snow (I am not sure if this is the correct word) inspired small poetry slam with a person I know.  The prompt was

Huge mean flakes

My poem was:

Huge mean flakes
blind my view
of the dark visage of late fall
Hiding those remaining flashes of color
Presaging months of white, gray and brown

Their version:


Huge mean flakes
sting my skin and blind my view.
Dark clouds swarm overhead, swallowing the last drop of light
choking a final flashing of color. Of hope.
A sinister omen.
White gray nothingness awaits...

Of course, you know me, Mr. Glass half full...though today drained it fast so here is my response

With apologies to T.S.

Is this the kindest month?
With soft snows covering life and mistakes of the past?
Innocence reborn though only temporarily 
A respite
A pause
And false
And deceiving



 


Deceiving



No comments: