Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Revisions and other things

There is a newspaper adage that addresses the question if any one reads what you write.  The sage editor remarks, "just make a mistake and to find out how many people read it!"

So the Monty Python quote that I referenced about not being quite dead yet.   I was correct but in context of the movie, it should have probably been a different quote.  Here it is, after Concorde gets shot:


Meanwhile, at a nearby stream, Sir Launcelot approaches. We hear horse's hooves 
in the distance. Sir Launcelot appears, behind Concorde, who is banging two 
coconut halves together to make the noise of a horse. 
 
Launcelot: Ho!  Well taken, Concorde! Steady there, 
         boy! 
          
Concorde: (as he falls) Message for you, sir.  (he falls) 
Launcelot: Concorde!!  (spying the arrow) A note!   "To whomever finds 
           this note. Help. I am being held prisoner by my father who wishes 
          me to marry *against my will*!! Please please please please rescue 
          me.  I am in the Tall Tower of Swamp Castle."   A quest! A 
          damsel in distress!  Oh, Concorde, noble Concorde, you shall not have 
          died in vain!   
Concorde: I'm not quite dead yet, sir! 
Launcelot: (a bit put off) Well...you shall not have been...mortally wounded 
         in vain!  
Concorde: I think I could pull through, sir. 

As for revisions, well being too pointed and self serving in a single post is too much.  My apologies.

I am on the plane heading back, and I will finish this recap of the trip.  I made it to Atlanta, minus a bag that they say is still in England.  My plane to MSP is late, but I don’t think that it will be late enough for the bag to catch up.  It will make it tomorrow sometime, or I guess Wednesday when they Fed-Ex it to me.  It is really just dirty clothes, so no biggie.  I don’t really have tons to say, but I have little vignettes of the trip.  None are worth a whole post but some are funny or perhaps at least interesting.
Yesterday when I got back to London I headed for what was the Olympic Park or the area where many of the events were.  Of course they were spread out over 145 square miles or so, but I got a feel for the scope.   All I can say is that while I wish I could have seen the Olympics here, I cannot imagine wanting to get around in London while all that was happening.  It must have been crazy.  Though I suppose that there are already a few million using the Tube each morning, so what could a few more hundred thousand do to the madhouse?
Now some might have pegged me for a geek but I did exercise my not so inner geek-ness by then visiting the British Museum on Sunday.  Wow.  I know, who else might be excited or happy about the Elgin Marbles or a display about money, or countless other exhibits?  It is the British version of the Smithsonian, but the Brits have been more places, and raped and plundered more continents than the Americans, so it is perhaps more interesting and esoteric than the “American” museum of history.  I was there for only three hours, but could have spent six or 10 or 20 hours and I would have never even begun to see it all.
Often on my trips I comment on the fashions that I see.  I am a practiced people watcher and while some think I never make the right observations, I do observe folks as they pass their days.  So, as per usual, I can say that what men think is fashionable is whatever I am not wearing.  Dark skinny jeans, and it looks like I am going to have to find another jean jacket.  And shirts with broad, spread out collars and wide solid color ties.  Silver seems to be a favorite.  All I know is that I will never wear dress pants cut that close, and it’s probably a good thing.
It is more difficult to tell what the trends are for women, probably because the city is so diverse.  In the business areas, there are a lot more pretty severe looking suits, a bit shorter but still mens’ suits with skirts.  All they need are ties.  In more informal areas, leggings are still big as are boots.  When I taught at Oxford  (that is fun to say) one of my students commented on the fact that British women all wore clothes one or two sizes too small, and that really does seem to be the case.  Plus the news this week is that Britons as a whole, but women especially are heavier than they have ever been—they have gained one whole dress size and a bra size (the tabloids had photos illustrating this) since 2005.  It took them six years to do this—the previous similar increase had taken them 22 years or a generation.  No wonder their clothes are too tight.  It is a similar situation or actually a little worse for the men, but I admit I didn’t look as close…
Another trend is that the Shades of Grey books are all of the rage, and they have spawned  a whole host of others—80 Shades of Yellow/Blue/Green/Burnt Seinna or whatever.  The one that made me laugh out loud was 50 Shades of Mr. Darcy.   Really.  When I was at the Camden Market, this fixation showed up in the stalls.  Lots of things that tied or tied you up. 
It has even made verb out of an adjective, and “shading” has made the list.  I read the newspapers every day, and one of the articles in the Evening Standard Mail Telegraph Mirror Sun Times or the like was for men on what to do when “shading” became an issue at your house.  After years of one thing, someone reads three books and now people want something different.  A lot different for that matter.    The advice was threefold—humor them (or humour them) and go along for how bad could it really be?  The second was take charge and don’t be a “milque toast” any more but be what you dreamed.  I can’t remember the third, but I suspect that it was don’t forget safe word and where you put the key.
I have to say that I was pretty disappointed about the changes in the pubs.  Admittedly I was not really off the beaten path, but I was out of the city-proper, and I was surprised at the effect consolidation has had on the pubs.  Most are owned by the large breweries, and they are increasingly generic.  Since my cholesterol is in the low 50s (really, it is) I didn’t worry about those full English breakfasts or the fish and chips, but I was disappointed  Twice the “fish” was machine cut cod, and was obviously frozen and just one step above fish sticks.  The bacon for breakfast was more than likely TRIMMED of fat for heaven’s sake, and the eggs at one place were promoted as free range organic eggs.  It all wasn’t awful, but a big change when pub food was the epitome of decadence.  Come on, who says “Healthy pub food, “ but it is coming.
I was a bit surprised by the impact of “the Crisis” as it is referred to over here.  I know I swiped at the topic the other day by noting that a scotch bar “only” had 225 varieties rather than the usual 300+ in other years.  If nothing else, all you have to do is see a newspaper and read the 72 pt-plus size headlines, especially in Spain.  But there were other ways to tell, too.  Vacant storefronts, lots of for sale signs on houses, and schemes and adverts for Quick Loan types of places.
So I do come back with my soul nourished and with a better frame of reference.  And with new experiences and stories.  And maybe, even a picture or two to share.  All in all, it was a good adventure.


No comments: